Skip to content

Religious Projects

Holy Name of Jesus Church Design

Owner: Holy Name of Jesus Parish
Location: Harrisburg, Pa.

Gannett Fleming Architects, Inc. provided professional services for the design of a new 26,000-square-foot, 1,400-seat Roman Catholic church with a traditional nave and sanctuary design. Full building and interior design services were provided, including liturgical consulting, architectural, civil, geotechnical, structural, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, and HVAC.

Reuse of historic elements was an important part of the church’s design. The new church features items from both the former church and from closed Catholic churches. Among the pieces are an ornate 1921 Italian marble altar from a Catholic girls’ school in Washington, D.C., 41 stained glass windows from a church in New York, and Stations of the Cross that date back to the 1930s. The tabernacle was purchased online through a company specializing in used church items.

Statues and the large corpus and existing chandeliers from the former church are also incorporated into the new house of worship, which includes a 100-seat day chapel, a choir loft, and sacristy.

The new church is the largest in the Diocese of Harrisburg. The chairman of the church design committee commented on Gannett Fleming Architects’s ability to bring the committee’s vision to life while providing cost effective alternatives. Both quality and budget were maintained throughout the project.

Sanctuary